Sigma Consulting Group – Our client, a Healthcare / Medical Service provider located in Lagos State is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Intensive Care Unit
Location: Victoria Island, Lagos
Employment Type: Contract
Summary of Position
- To demonstrate strong, effective, collaborative clinical and strategic leadership our clients Covid-19 Intensive Care Unit ICU
- To provide effective and efficient management of the ICU
- To provide excellent clinical services in Intensive Care Medicine
- To establish and implement methodology to continuously improve the ICU models of care
- To support Our client’s teaching, research and clinical governance programs
- To support the strategic priorities and values of our client.
- The Head of Intensive Care has overall responsibility for the leadership and management of the Department comprising 15 beds/ level 3 as well as the ICU Liaison Service.
- The Head of ICU will collaboratively lead, motivate and develop staff to ensure optimal performance and best patient outcomes. Direct reports include the Deputy Directors – Operations, Quality & Risk, Education & Training and Research.
- This is a contract based position that will work closely with the ICU leadership team and Program Director/ Clinical Service Director in the management of critical care medicine to optimize clinical outcomes and performance through the application of quality systems and evidence-based practice.
In particular, the role requires:
- A strategic focus with an emphasis on external relationships and future directions of the Covid-19 ICU.
- The provision of high-level advice to the Program Director and senior executive staff in general on the planning and operation of the Intensive Care Unit for our client and its strategic alliances.
- The provision of best-practice care to all patients in the context of current professional knowledge and available resources
- The ability to work effectively as a member of the ICU leadership team, representing the ICU and liaising with our clients Health Executive on key issues as required
- A commitment to support and develop knowledge and learning of staff of the Intensive Care Unit through excellence in training, education and research
- The highest standards of behaviour and communication for patients, peers and other users of the Intensive Care Unit.
- Effective integration of ICU care with Health services including input by ICU leadership into relevant cross-program developments.
- Effective stakeholder engagement in any proposed changes to models of care
- Seamless bidirectional transfers of care for all patients entering or leaving the unit.
- The capacity to build a culture that encourages innovation, research, education and support for all staff
- Work in partnership with the Nurse Manager and other members of the Senior Nursing leadership team.
- Provision of a clinical role within the Intensive Care Unit and participation in the weekend, out of hours and on-call roster
- Contributing to the overall professional standing of our client’s hospital.
Management & Leadership:
- Provide strong, collaborative leadership & management of Intensive Care Services in order to attain the strategic objectives.
- Work with Intensive Care Unit staff, the Program, other senior Administrative and Clinical staff and other Departments that interface with the Intensive Care to ensure that the Intensive Care Unit performs at best practice levels and integrates patient care effectively with other inpatient, ambulatory and community services
- Lead, maintain and mentor an effective multi-disciplinary team to ensure optimum patient outcomes within financial and staff resources; help to build morale and teamwork within Medical, Nursing and Allied Health
- Develop and implement a clear service plan and ensure active involvement of staff in outcomes.
- Ensure the Department participates in clinical services development and policy across the Hospital.
- Overall responsibility for budget expenditure and revenue setting within the Unit
- Represent the ICU at the relevant Health meetings
- Be responsible for ICU consultants and other staff designated to this role and set and agree clear objectives and expectations with them
- Effectively adapt to new situations or uncertainty and promote and support required changes by describing the reasons for change and support others through the change processes
- Consistently achieve the key outcomes/results and internationally accepted benchmarks within agreed timeframes.
- Maintain contemporary best practice, personal technical expertise, medical knowledge & clinical skills.
- Treat and manage Covid-19 patients properly.
- Assume responsibility for clinical care of allocated patients and participate in setting the standards for high-quality clinical practice within the Unit.
- Attend clinical and other shifts as rostered. Participate in on call and other clinical activities as required
- Work with CSD, Program director and other relevant stakeholders to ensure intensive care unit beds are optimally utilized
- Assist in developing protocols where appropriate.
- Maintain accurate patient records.
- Use resources in a responsible manner having regard to patient priority and need.
- Ensure that there is prompt communication with other relevant clinicians and health care providers.
Clinical Governance, Quality, Safety, Risk and Improvement:
- Ensure the ICU leadership group has appropriate activities for the Unit in place for monitoring and quality improvement activities, including a clinical review/ audit program
- Promote and deliver patient-centred care.
- Maintain an understanding of individual responsibility for patient safety, quality & risk and contribute to organisational quality and safety initiatives.
- Follow organisational safety, quality & risk policies and guidelines.
- Escalate concerns regarding safety, quality and risk to the Program Director or Chief Medical Officer, if unable to rectify within the ICU
- Promote and participate in evaluation and continuous improvement processes.
- Comply with requirements of National Safety & Quality Health Service Standards and other relevant regulatory/ accreditation requirements
- Participate in College, National Standards and other accreditation programs as required.
- Adhere to scope of practice requirements.
- Ensure there are process in place for the resolution of incidents and complaints.
- Comply with the hospital’s medication management and medication safety policies and guidelines.
- Ensure the ICU participates in the hospital’s performance review processes for medical staff and undertake performance review for staff reporting to this position.
Education & Research:
- Ensure programs in place to support teaching, training, orientation and mentoring activities where relevant.
- Comply with the hospital’s mandatory continuing professional development requirements.
- Support of education and training programs at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Ensure the Deputy Director Research has a leading research program for the ICU
- Research activities will be undertaken commensurate with the role.
Qualifications and Experience
- Substantial relevant experience in intensive care services, preferably as a specialist in a major teaching hospital.
- Demonstrated experience in successful clinical services management is desirable
- Collaborative and effective leadership style with evidence of ongoing continuing professional development of leadership skills
- Highly effective communication skills and ability to liaise well with other clinicians and executive staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality improvement, education and research in the provision of Intensive Care.
- Demonstrable relevant knowledge and experience in intensive care medicine.
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a Medical Doctor.
- Must have experience of Managing and treating COVID-19 cases.
- Must have Infection Prevention Control (ICP) Certificate.
- Must belong to a Medical Professional Body.
- Bachelor’s Degree qualification.
Application Closing Date
25th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online