There was confusion at Akinyele community in Ibadan, Akinyele Local Government Area of Oyo State on Wednesday as a trailer park in the area went up in flames barely 24 hours after the building belonging to the Yoruba rights activist was razed in Soka.
It was gathered that the incident happened around 4am leaving several shops completely razed by the inferno.
Items that got destroyed in the inferno include food and provision, household wares, spare parts, kegs of diesel and other articles of trade.
The Director of Operations, Oyo State Fire and Safety Services, Mr Adeleke Ismail, in an interview with our correspondent, said, “Our men attended to the fire incident in record time after being alerted. Our people were called and we responded.
“The fire started from one of the dilapidated shops and spread to other shops. We cannot determine the number of shops that were gutted by fire. Only the containers and structures built with iron or blocks can be counted.
“We cannot assess the affected items. They were dealing with eatable items and free burning materials such as electronics and wears. As you know, it is a place where trailers park and commercial vehicles also load. There are food vendors and there are brothels there.”
Speaking with journalists in Ibadan, the Media Aide to the Caretaker Chairman of Akinyele Local Government, Fagbemi Segun, said, “Early this morning, the Chairman, Mr Taoreed Adedigba, received a distress call about a fire incident at the trailer park of Akinyele Local Government.
“The total number of shops that were razed by fire is yet to be known but we learnt that the fire outbreak started around 4am this morning. For now, nobody can ascertain the source of the fire.
“The chairman immediately rushed to the point of the incident to access the situation after contacting all the necessary security personnel, including the fire service, the police and the Amotekun corps.”
It was gathered that the traditional ruler in the community, Oba James Odeniran, was on hand with the security outfits as efforts were made by the firemen to extinguish the fire.